I got the over hang done on both gable ends, and I just about have the fascia board completed, I just have 14 feet left to go plus some minor trimming on the ends. I have made a homemade crane to lift the plywood to the roof; it still needs some minor touches but it will be working by Sunday so that we can start sheathing the roof. The house is starting to look like a house.
I’ve decided to put some metal connectors on the south wall to tie the headers above the windows into the double top plate. The roof is very strong for downward forces but I think it could be prone to lifting if we get some high winds. The blueprints called for hurricane brackets on the ends of each truss, and there is a 8 foot unfastened length above each of the four windows on the south side.
Before Sunday I will need to finish the fascia, get the plywood hoist operational and finish installing hurricane brackets and framing connectors. I should also pick up another box of staples for the sheathing stapler. There’s a lot of extra metal that I’ve put into the house, hopefully we didn’t need it but you never know what the weather will throw at you.
I should note that although this is building day 26, I have not yet put 26 days of work into the house. The building days that fall on a week day I usually work from 5:30 PM until 9:00 PM (I’d work later but I think the neighbors kids are probably sleeping), and on the weekend days I generally work from 10:00 AM until 7:00 PM.
I’m trying to get more time to work on the house, and I think after I get the roof on it and it’s enclosed I will be able to leave my tools out ready for use. I usually spend half an hour unpacking and setting up and the same tearing down at the end of the day. It’s a bit of a pain but I don’t want to find them under a foot of snow when I get there after leaving them out. The wind and snow swirl through the building and leave large drifts at times. I’m excited about the time change that will give me an extra hour of sunlight. When you are building outside with a 500 watt light, sunlight is like gold. The sun goes down and the wind comes up, an extra hour will make a huge difference.
Today I started the Cockshutt 40 and used the snow blower to cut a path around the house. Snow has been gathering around the south side of the house and it’s made using a ladder extra hard, actually it’s made walking hard as well; it’s getting to be two feet high. The snow blower worked well but it needs some adjustments so that it cuts closer to the ground. I think I need to lengthen the upper linkage of the three point hitch to tilt the top away from the tractor, I’ll save that for another day.
I also put another overhang piece on the east wall. Tomorrow I will fasten the last five feet of overhang and it will be done. I’ll be very happy when I can do some work that doesn’t involve walking in the trusses. I’ve lost my nerve for crawling around up there, it’s starting to get scary again. Maybe it’s just not as enjoyable because the wind-chill is -35 today, and so windy at the top. Well one more day of work and I think the roof will be ready for sheathing.
The plan for tomorrow it to finish the overhang, put the fascia on the south wall, and hook up the overhead hoist to raise sheets of plywood to the roof. If I get all that done I’ll either put another row of OSB on the south wall or I’ll put some hurricane anchors on the trusses. I’ll probably leave the OSB for a time when the sun is up, the anchors can be installed in the dark.
There hasn’t been much to show for progress as the work has been slow going. I have put the fascia board up on the north side of the house, and finished the sheathing on the east side. It has taken extra time because the ground is not level on the east side and using a ladder becomes difficult. All of the sheathing was done from the outside with a ladder. Most of the sheets were hoisted up with the block and tackle but the outside and top sheets had to be carried to the top, up the ladder. It was a slow process mainly due to having to dig one hole every time the ladder was moved to level it. The Picture shows the over hang being hoisted to the top. It lacks color because it was taken just before dark. I got it fixed into place but it was too dark to take a picture with a camera phone.
I’m starting to rush to get things done, we have until the end of this month to decide if we are going to renew our lease and until the end of may to be moved out. I never made a timeline for this project and since I’ve never built a house before I have a hard time estimating how long it will take. A lot of things take longer just due to the height of the building, I saw this when sheathing the gable ends. It was a 28 foot climb to get to the top, and you get worn out carrying a sheet of OSB that long. I hope to get the roof sheeted this Sunday, and get shingles delivered and installed within a week from then. I’m also going to get the overhead door delivered, and a few windows, then I can start home wrapping and installing windows. Well, my goal is to get it closed in by the twenty-third of March, and I need the Electrical and Plumbing to be done soon after so that we can pour the floor before the road restrictions go on.